Sunday, January 15, 2017

Habits

My refugee sponsorship story has gone international with mentions on BBC and The Guardian.

I did not do this project for fame or publicity.  At first I resisted publicity but now welcome it.  It helps leverage.  It helps get things done.

The downside is it generates a lot of volume.  People read it and ask for help.  Or people want to express an opinion.  And it adds pressure for me to be "perfect" and "profound".   I am just a regular person doing a tiny bit and even doing that imperfectly.  

So I have finally broken down and put up a donate page.  Lets see how much we can generate and how much good we can do.  The humanitarian crisis remains extreme.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A friend asked me how to maintain habits.  He was slipping.  My answer:

I find when my habits are too hard, I will slip on them.

EG - I do a form of HIT (High Intensity Training).  Short duration time wise but really hard.  When I change to a lesser workout, I stick to it and then sometimes step it up anyways.

My other cause of failure is when I move aside something that is important.  EG - At times I have scrimped on sleep to work out.  But the sleep is important and ends up winning in time.  

Other tricks - make it easier or tougher to do.  EG - get dressed in shorts and tshirt and wear sweat pants when you get up.  I usually eat fairly healthy when I am home because I have no unhealthy food on hand.  Yes, I could go out and get cookies or make them but it is a barrier.  

Or add reward or punishment.  I like tea.  I do not allow myself to drink tea until X is done.

I say to myself:

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
And a great article on the pace of change.   It includes a warning not to be complacent.   Change was fine at one time  but I have had quite enough of it - Anon

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I am worried my grand daughter will never learn to fly properly holding the broom that way.


1 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

While I am watching videos of NAS called NAS DAILY in youtube, he included your story about helping refugees from syria and all I can say is WOW. Im happy for what you did. I told to myself I want to help to less fortunate people too someday. Thats the reason why your business is booming and I agree with that. Well, good luck. Hope to meet you in person, Sir!! Best goodluck

 

Post a Comment

<< Home