Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston Marathon Cowardice

I am greatly saddened by the act of cowardice at the Boston Marathon.  Any attack on the innocent and unarmed is cowardly but doubly so when there is no political agenda at the marathon.   It is not even a target that could possibly be hated like some people might dislike Wall Street.

Thanks to all who asked about my wife, Elizabeth Waywell who was there.  She is fine.   She even had a spectacular run at 3:10 to come in 5th in her age group.  But the terrorism overshadows all.
 
I have mixed feeling about even blogging and being positive as I usually try to be.  I think it is best to do so though so the terrorists do not win twice.  Normalcy must return.
 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
I spoke at a TEDx last week.  My part starts at about 6 minutes on this video.   I have done hundreds of speeches but a TED talk is different.  Scripted and timed to the minute.  No audience interaction.  Exciting and I will do it again if asked.
 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And this is a good article on procrastination at work you can read later.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One of the Canrock companies Organimi has a blog post up on what they do for org charts.  Interesting company.

4 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Justin said...

Glad Elizabeth is well!

Great Ted Talk... "sole competitive advantage was courtesy and work ethic."

"What changes do we need to make in our company to grow." I like this a lot too. It seems you need to be honest with yourself and accept that you might not have the right approach at the moment.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger The Messy Baker said...

Jim, we had no idea Elizabeth was running in the marathon. We're so glad to hear she's unharmed. I'm sure she's shaken. Who isn't?

Yesterday, amid the flurry of tweets and posts about Boston, someone said that when tragedy strikes, we should look at the heroes. Yesterday, there were many, many heroes -- giving first aid, comfort, shelter. I know it's unspeakable that they were needed in the first place. And yet, amid the chaos and grief the average person showed their humanity. That gives me hope.

Sending you, Elizabeth and all those touched by the Boston bombings love, peace and above all hope.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Hilary said...

Your wife's run was impressive! 3 hours to complete a marathon is amazing! (It takes me 3 hours to do a half... haha) You're right. We can't let these cowards take that away from us. We need to feel proud of our accomplishments!

BTW, you were the best speaker at TEDx last week. Thanks for sharing your experience...

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Nora B. in Ottawa said...

SO sad what happened in Boston but I'm so very happy to hear about Elizabeth's great success!
I can only imagine that next year's Boston Marathon will be HUGE – I think so many people will be inspired to take part!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home