Friday, July 08, 2011

Book Review - You Can't Not Communicate

I finally got a New York cell phone so anyone who needs it, email me.

On a personal note, I was blessed by a visit by my daughters Beth and Laura this week. Had a great time. We went out to see the Daniel Radcliffe and John Laroquette musical "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying". My kids picked it. Perhaps they are trying to tell me something.

It was an awesome play. The actors were outstanding. It is billed as a musical comedy and it was hilarious. Highly recommended. Not sure I got any good business tips though.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wrote a post at CMA Blog on selling to CEOs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And the following is a book review by one of my interns - Jonathon Doman:

You Can’t Not Communicate 2-Proven Communication Solutions that Power the Fortune 100

In the academic world, you can do well, even exceptionally well, with hardly any communication skills. Relating to others, portraying confidence and maximizing other’s potential are not attributes emphasized in the classroom. As a senior at the University of Maryland, I found David Grossman’s “You Can’t Not Communicate-Proven Communication Solutions that Power the Fortune 100 - How Top Leaders Differentiate Themselves” to be particularly interesting because it focused on ways to succeed in the “real world.”


Grossman’s basic point is that in order to be a leader, you need to effectively relate to others’. Communication skills are a craft, mastered by only a small percentage of corporate leaders around the world. With the right communication skills, leaders can bring their companies to a level of success that they likely would not believe is possible.


If you enjoy your job, work does not become an arduous task, but a place where you want to maximize your potential. Grossman highlights the need to make your employees feel optimistic and enthusiastic about the company as these feelings all originate with mutual trust and respect. Your employees should also feel valuable, appreciated, and comfortable as these are key motivational factors that make your workers want to give that extra effort that could really make a difference.


As a student, there is no shared goal in the classroom. My leaders (professors) have no real interest in how well I do in their classes and the most we can do, as students, is hope all those A’s one day add up to a happy life with a good job. Thus, we are completely on our own as many stay up all night studying wondering, “why am I doing this again? As Grossman points out, people are often more enthusiastic about their work when they are part of a goal bigger than themselves. As a leader in the corporate world, creating that environment of unity is essential and clearly, I could not agree more.


The final section of Grossman’s book is to me, the most insightful. He explains how leaders need to understand the mindset of the future generations, or, the “Millenials.” People about my age want to work in a setting where, according to Grossman:

1) The Sky is the Limit

2) You make your own opportunities

3) Bosses are honest with you.


Although this is not the mindset of all Millenials, it certainly seems to be the overwhelming view from my observations. The supervisor who understands this thought process will, in the long-run, likely produce the most talent possible out of the younger employees.


3 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Laura said...

I loved the play, too, Dad!
And a key business tip to remember is "A secretary is not a toy" :)

Seriously, though, the best part was seeing you!
Love, Laura

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Hack Marketing: Practical Marketing Strategies For Growth & Scale said...

I liked the book too. I think honest and frequent communications really make a difference. My teams usually know what's going in almost all areas, which builds trust even in the toughest situations. It also minimizes rumors and helps all of us focus on external areas. Finally, one the latest lessons learned was from my former CEO, "Celebrate early, celebrate often."

 
At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Tony Tate said...

I might buy that book later. As seems like it's very informative and good read for me. I would love to read books that would give me a lot of informative ideas, which will be a great help for me in the future. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the next one!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home