Saturday, June 25, 2011

Successful People Do Tough Things

Yesterday, my run seemed hard. (I tend to push myself and rarely do an easy workout). What kept me going was the thought "discomfort precedes success". In that case, health would be the success.

One mantra I have used "Successful people do tough things". This has inspired me to tackle some of the tougher calls, study some of the difficult things etc.

It all ties to delayed gratification. People who can delay gratification tend to have greater gratification.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I read a truly awesome book by Michael Schuman - The Miracle - the Epic Story of Asia's Quest for Wealth.

I am inspired by stories of great businesses being grown. And I am doubly inspired by the short period of time these companies have emerged. Companies like Acer, Honda, Toyota etc all really came into their own in the past 35 years.

I have been concerned that I do not have enough time to start and grow a meaningful size business. But I recently visited my 95 year old inlaws. So, adding the 2 together...

This book is by no means a breezy read. It is intense and over 400 pages unlike most of the business books I read. It starts with 3 pages of names (most of which are asian so tougher for me to remember) and what their part is.

There is one chapter on each country. It goes through the history which differs dramatically. And it tracks major companies and their growth. Often the companies are assisted by the government.

In the global economy, understanding each country culture helps. I have traveled to Asia often but mostly to Taiwan (where the computer industry started), Hong Kong (where the electronic shows were), Korea (where the huge companies like Samsung are based) and China (where the electronic industry migrated over time and where SYNNEX had a large presence). Interestingly, I have big gaps in my Asia travels having never been to Singapore or India.

I knew one of the significant players in the book - Stan Shih, founder of Acer. I certainly knew a lot about Acer. EMJ signed Acer before anyone knew who they were in the early 1980s. They had just changed their name from Multitech. I did not understand until reading this book how big of a player Stan was in the emergence of Taiwan.

Highly inspirational book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home