Monday, April 11, 2011

Power Formula for Linkedin Success

I made a comment on Breaking Away - Innovation that one must not just listen but hear. There us a good post on authentic listening on Faith Fuqua-Purvis' blog.

Busy weekend. Mostly relaxing. I ran a 4 mile race for Autism on Sunday. Beat my 30 minute goal by 2 seconds so that was good. Moved 12 tons of dirt by hand (yes, I calculated it - 8 Cubic Yards, 54 wheelbarrow loads of 30 shovels each) so am good sore.

I am listening to Do It Now - Break the Procrastination Habit by Dr William Knaus so I figure I cannot really procrastinate on doing a blog post. One of his suggestions is to keep a procrastination log noting what you are procrastinating on, feelings about it, why, what you do instead etc. And since I started one, I have to do things since I would never want to put anything in it.

I read a great book by Wayne Breitbarth called "The Power Formula for Linkedin Success - Kick-start Your Business, Brand and Job Search".

I use Linkedin but learned from Breitbarth that I am not as good as it as I can be. First inspiration was to make sure my profile was complete (and it is now).

I realize that I use Linkedin less than I could for searching out new contacts. Will start doing that more.

I like that on Linkedin, people keep their own contact information up to date.

I do updates on Linkedin (mostly business quotations from famous people and being the time efficient person that I try to be, I do the same update on Twitter, Facebook etc.)

One thing I did on Linkedin was hide who I am connected to. I was finding some people were abusing the relationship by contacting my contacts and implying that I was endorsing the approach.

A book like Breitbarth's reminds me of the power of Linkedin.

2 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Wayne Breitbarth said...

Thanks, Jim, for your kind words. I am glad you enjoyed my book, and I hope your readers do as well. To your success!

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Faith Fuqua-Purvis said...

Hi Jim – Glad you like my Authentic Listening post.

My jaw dropped when I read how your Connections were ambushed. I am both appalled and saddened by this behavior. To do this simply never crossed my mind - not myself doing so, but others.

Yea, I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I am too darn honest and open for my "own good" - on the flip side my integrity and authenticity should never be in doubt.

To me this is a direct example of unethical behavior. The sad thing is that people who do this likely do not “get” that this is a problem – they think nothing of it.

I did wonder if whether you took any action in response when you learned of this behavior? The only way to stop behaviors like this are to ensure there is a negative consequence. A powerfully negative one might be having one of your blogs list out the names of individuals who knowingly and intentionally did this. Just one more way to sort the wheat from the chaff.

As for your readers... If you know that a person's relationship to Jim was incorrectly portrayed, you can take action too.

We don't let children get away with poor behavior, why should we let it slide with adults?

P.S. Congrats on your run time. Impressed with the gardener in you. Tired just reading it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home