Friday, September 17, 2010

Off The Wall Leadership

My last post on seeing the future got me in trouble with a lot of the companies I have invested in. The message is "I love you all or I would not be involved with you". And I will profile some of my other investments over the next quarter. I had found the blog was evolving almost into a book report and race report blog so perhaps so profiles will spice it up.

One great company that gets the right answers to "Will everyone want to do it" and "Will we accept as normal?" is Printeron. There is a short video on their Printspot technology on Youtube. The gist of it is you can print from your device (like a Blackberry) on a printer and do it securely (so other people will not get your document). I think the time is ripe for them to blossom.

I view print from device or public print as being at a similar stage as wireless networks. It was only a few years ago that there were few places you could get connected. Now they are pervasive. The same will be true of printing in public.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I read a great short book on leadership - Off The Wall Leadership - all based on quotations leaders have in their offices. Those who connect with me on Twitter, Facebook or Linkedin know I like quotations.

Quotations are a way to state a view without having to take the blame for that view.

Quotations often simplify what I want to say.

Quotations can make us think.

Quotations are short and fast so very time efficient (and they usually fit the 140 character Twitter limit)

When I say the book is short - it is only 37 pages - even shorter than my Time Leadership book.

The chapters cover all the basics of leadership - Communicate, Change the Status Quo, Goal Setting, Make Decisions, Take Action and Live your Values. It does this by sharing quotes with comments by who has them on their wall.

Some of the quotes I liked:

"Just because it worked once does not mean it will work again".

"Chance favors the prepared"

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more - you are a leader" - John Quincy Adams

It is a book I wish I had written - especially given my love of quotes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home