Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Why Time Management

I’m always perplexed when I hear someone say they are not interested in Time Management. The reasons they cite usually has to do with the fact that they don’t want to work that hard and are more interest in having fun, relaxing, or having leisure.

If this is truly the case, then they’ve missed the whole point in Time Management. Many of the efficiency tips (and management has more to do with efficiency than anything) allow people to be more productive and get more done.

It seems to me if someone were interested in spending more time on leisure, relaxing or anything else, they’d want to get through their other tasks and chores in an efficient manner so they can go on about relaxing better.

I know I tend to be fairly driven and perhaps that sends the wrong message to people who think that if they start some time management tricks they’ll just start working too hard.

Time management is not about working harder, it’s all about working smarter.

My success habits of the day are:

1. Do the worst thing first thing. I choose to do this both first thing in the morning and first thing after lunch. This has been the best thing for getting items off my plate, breaking through procrastination and not having the stress of having things hang over me.

2. Know you goals and link the action items to your goals. If something is not important enough to be on your goals, should you really be doing it?

3. Leave the room a little bit neater than you left it. I don't spending a lot of time cleaning out my car or any other room for that matter and the simple habit of leaving the room a little neater than I came into it allows me to keep the clutter and the paper a little bit neater (of course sometimes I have to go in and out of a room a few times to get things neat).

4. Be healthy. In reality this one is because a lot of time management has to do with energy, not so much time and being healthy gives you energy and if you're not healthy it sure creates a huge elephant in the room that needs to be dealt with first.

Good luck on your time management.

Changing topics. I love marketing and SEO so I read Daniel Scocco's eBook on making money from blogging. Scocco is one the leaders in internet marketing and SEO. His eBook was a fast and interesting (for me) read. Much of it I knew but some I did not.

Most of it I agreed with - some I did not (like do not use your name as the URL of the blog and of course I use www.jimestill.com).

His big points included being focussed on one topic(I definitely agree with owning a niche). Passion - definite must to make a blog go. Focus on only one blog (don't spread yourself too broadly). And his other totally valid point - focus on quality. Good content is what it is all about.


4 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jim,
I am glad I found your website ; you are hitting the nail right on the head with the concept of Time Management. It is one of my pet peeves hearing people say, “I don’t have time.” How many times a have you heard that? I don’t even want to think about it. It is not that they don’t have time, they don’t make time. You must MAKE TIME to do the things you need to do and enjoy your time with the things you want to do.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Steve Borgman said...

Jim, I like your point about leaving the room, desk, or vehicle a bit cleaner than you found it. What a great time management and organization technique. It's one I have struggled with, but I'm going to start implementing it: today!!

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know what you mean by “Do the worst thing first thing.” That way the worst or the most difficult task is already out of the way and you can enjoy the rest of the work in peace!!
All these are excellent leadership tips. Leading at the edge means playing to win as an individual, as a team, and as an organization. Companies that create a leadership development culture excel because they become talent magnets by always providing people with opportunities to learn, grow, and build leadership competencies. Regardless of their professional and organizational roles, all top leaders must understand how leadership, culture, and operational effectiveness are closely intertwined to achieve outstanding results. Drawing on the latest studies of high performance leadership from the world of business, sports, education, hostage negotiation, music, theater, and personal achievement, we will translate this cutting-edge knowledge to the real world of leading especially in times of change and transformation. At the IMD OWP 2010 you will learn what leaders in the top companies, who are known for their outstanding leadership cultures, do so successfully to continue leading at the edge.

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Tami Schwerin said...

Thanks for the time management tips...Arlo and I are running a 5K this weekend. :) Tami

 

Post a Comment

<< Home