Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Learning By Teaching

We've all heard it said that the best way to learn is to teach. I'm a big believer that this is absolutely true. I think this is probably one of things that inspired me originally to start teaching my time management seminar.

When I first started preparing my time management seminar (and this came before my time management book), I did what I often do and I chose to study it. For me, this meant getting most of the books at the library. Listening to the audio programs, watching the videos and I even went to a couple time management seminars.

The more I study the topic, the more excited I got and the more I incorporated a number of the success habits in my life. The more I did this, the more success I had.

This became the start of momentum that built to eventually not only doing the seminar over a hundred times, but writing the book, publishing the audio cd and the time leadership eBook.

I know time management much better because I studied it and I taught it. Your tip for today is if you want to learn something well, teach it.

I think this works because all of us want to do a good job so we don't want to go teach without preparing.

I think there is a tendency of people when they teach to set a little bit better example (although people are better to do as I say and not examine me too closely in what I do, I'm still a work in progress on the time management front).

2 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Chicago Furniture said...

I've seen your methodology regarding teaching from Ben Graham (who taught Buffet at Columbia) then Buffet himself and Joel Greenblatt. I think on the investment side it instilled discipline into their investing processes.

 
At 5:21 AM, Anonymous San Antonio hotels said...

time management is a misnomer, we need to manage ourselves that is the real challenge, said Steven Covey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home