Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Just Ask Leadership

This my 600th blog post. 12th day on "holidays".

Working on my systems. I find my productivity is unusually low. So need to polish my success habits. Trying not to fall victim to "tasks tend to grow to take the time available".

Thanks to all who did my survey. Interesting feedback that I will share in a future post. And if you have not done the survey- please take the few minutes and do it now.

The latest book I read is by Gary Cohen Just Ask Leadership - Why Great Managers Always Ask the Right Questions. Simple concept - Leaders and managers should ask questions as a way of leading.

"Questions aren't just about knowing the answers - they lead to fresh ideas, committed action and creation of a new rank of leaders" Questions are a softer way to lead. Questions stimulate thought. Questions promote buy in. Questions are motivational.

"The leader of the past was the person who knew how to tell. The leader of the future will be the person who knows how to ask" Peter Drucker

The book is chock full of questions that can be asked in almost any business situation. But if you read the book and get the concept, you will not need to use the questions from the book because it become obvious to use almost any questions.

I understand the concept. I believe in it and believed in it before I even read the book. I have found it difficult to practise. Will have to spend more time on it in the future. In my next position, I plan to ask more questions.

Just Ask Leadership also has a fairly good section on values and a link to an online values clarification exercise that is excellent. Part of my Time Leadership book has a section on that as well that ties in.

2 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The Power of a Question...
Hi Jim..what a valuable post and book reference.
As a management and leadership coach I say, "Become an expert question asker!" Many leaders are more natural "tellers vs. askers." Yet asking is a critical skill to helping those you lead learn how to think. It empowers then to problem solve, to become critical, independent, innovative thinkers - a capability sorely needed in our workplaces today.
JoAnn Corley
www.joanncorley.com

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Brenda | Trade Marks said...

""Questions aren't just about knowing the answers - they lead to fresh ideas, committed action and creation of a new rank of leaders" Questions are a softer way to lead. Questions stimulate thought. Questions promote buy in. Questions are motivational."

Jim, I just loved this I am always asking questions and when I have done so the funny thing is that I already know the answer before even anyone has had the chance to help me, thanks for a great blog I am really picking up and learning a great deal from this site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home