Friday, June 19, 2009

Be content or should you be? Lao Tzu

"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize nothing's lacking, the whole world belongs to you" ~ Lao Tzu

Unfortunately I tend towards the discontented (not to be confused with malcontent). At one point in my life I thought "Why am I never happy with what is". After a few weeks, I realized this discontent is a source of power and success for me so I no longer fight it. It helps drive me.

And at some level, the modest success I have does cause me to be content. I lead a charmed life and I know it.


Week 3 at Nu Horizons draws to a close. It feels like longer. I do not yet feel settled in my now home. Perhaps having a kitchen would help. I am weighing my contribution. I need to add value in all that I do.

5 Comments:

At 2:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I don't think staying contented means staying contented in that aspect.
It says, stay contented to your resources not results.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Patti said...

Major change takes time ... eating out is wonderful ... enjoy

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Alex Revai said...

Jim,

It would be too long to debate the deeper meanings of this Lao Tzu quote. Let it suffice here, that the focus of the message is "be content with WHAT you have". I.e.: the material things. It doesn't have to mean that you sould be content with who you are or what you have accomplished. The latter is, I suspect, the reason for your (healthy) discontent.

P.S.: You don't have a kitchen yet? "Rejoice in the way things are". It could be worse. :)

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Brandon Allen said...

Agree with comments. Most people spend too much time on what's missing which never actually allows them to gain what they want anyway. In this case you can continue to move forward while appreciating what you have.

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Kevin said...

Jim,

No Kitchen, thats a minor inconvenience....look at the upside, when it is in, you will appreciate it much more, have a large group of friends over, and cook up a storm.

regards,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home