Sunday, December 21, 2008

What I learned from Mark



The snow is beautiful today.

One of my blog rules is to blog only when I am optimistic and upbeat. I thought I would not blog until I got over Mark. But I also know I need to live.

One thing that will make me a better person and what keeps me going right now is to think "what would Mark what for me" (not what would Mark do).

My nephew Arlo put it well on Marks' blog. When we are born, we are 100% alive but when we die, we live on through the impact we have had on others - through the momories.

Things I learned from Mark - partly by the things I will miss about him:

1 - How to listen. He really knew how to listen. It was not about him. he showed a genuine interest in what I had on.

2 - Humility. Mark was very humble. Always willing to be in the background.

3 - How to just want the best for others without expectation of return. Perhaps this was just for brothers but it is a good feeling to have someone who is just out for you.

4 - How to play. Mark was much more balanced than I am on playing, relaxing and not always achieving.

5 - How to spend. Mark lived a frugal life in some senses (small house, modest car etc) but still was not afraid to spend money.

6 - Generousity. Mark was incredibly generous. He donated to any good cause. He spent money lberally on those he loved.

7 - Family is important. He made a huge effort to keep connected with family.

The best way for me to honour Mark's memory is to learn from him and to be a better person.

Glen and I drove back from North Carolina together. My flight was cancelled. I enjoyed the drive. At one point we stopped at a gas station:




Everything reminds me of Mark and the hole that is left in my life.

3 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your writing moved me...to tears! What a remarkable gas station to have passed and stopped by, as if it were a message from your brother himself!

I will live to do the points that you made and #'d on this days post...you have inspired me to take a deeper walk into my heart and hold tightly to those I profess to love and cherish.

Thank you for taking your time to share this. You are both brave and insightful!

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your loss.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great picture.

I'm glad that you are trying to make something positive of this.

I think that Mark is in a higher place now so we should try to live connected to that higher plane, which is exactly what you write about.

Love,
Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home