Monday, September 08, 2008

The Law of Focus

Buy my Time Management Book or Subscribe to receive this blog by email.

A friend emailed me:

"One of my first time saving tips taught to me was to take the task I was working on as far as I could before moving on to something else. The theory here is that most tasks take less than an hour to complete yet we get distracted somehow and don't get it done. The lesson here I think is focus. Focus on the task at hand and move it along to the furthest point you can without allowing distractions to get in the way. Your readers may be interested in this simple tip."

This is an awesome tip that I know as "The Law of Focus" which says:

"You accomplish more faster by focusing completely on one thing at a time"

It flies in the face of "The power of While" which is multitasking. What can you do while you are walking etc.

As I have studied time management, the more I realize that more people suffer from busyness and multitasking than too much focus. Multitasking tends to increase the stress and decrease the productivity. So next time you consider multitasking, consider "The Law of Focus".

Quote for the day:

The ability to focus attention on important things is a defining characteristic of intelligence.


Robert J. Shiller, Irrational Exuberance

3 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an Awesome Tip !

I would try practicing my focus. Too much of distractions..

 
At 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say I've found this to be the best and the most true things of all. I enjoy focusing and when I focus I do things better.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Ann F said...

I think you cannot discount one's ability to multi-task in the effect it has on them. Some multi-task well and without stress, others flounder in the attempt.

It is not a skill everyone has or may learn, so placing the expectation may be the more stressful component.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home