Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Bucket List

Yesterday on my flight back from Dallas I watched a movie called the Bucket List. The movie refers to things to do before you kick the bucket (an inelegant way of saying, before you die).

The story line is two elderly men with cancer one of whom is wealthy. Both of them make a list of things that they wanted to do before they die. Money was no object so the movie tracks them flying around the globe. Each time they completed an item on their list they crossed it off.

This ties in nicely with my goal setting exercise in my TIME LEADERSHIP book. I have a goal setting exercise where one of the parts to list your lifetime goals. Anything you want to do, be, have,or accomplish in this lifetime.

What I saw in the movie is that they mostly wanted to do things. What I find in my own list is I mostly want to accomplish things.

As I reflect on what my Bucket List would be, a lot of it would be spending time with friends and family.

Read the "60 Minutes to Clear Goals" Article here.

4 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger Karthick Gopal said...

and what about the rest of the stuff? besides friends and family what do you want to achieve?

Great blog btw Jim, makes for interesting reading and very inspirational too.

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that movie too. My bucket list has changed a lot and I hope will continue to evolve with me. Last years canoe trip in the NWT was a big one for me. Perhaps the biggest thing on my list now is seeing my daughter through her decisions on grade 12 and post secondary education options to the end where she will be both happy and sucessful with a career (I guess that counts as friends and family)

John

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the movie portrays a point about why we are here. We should all have a bucket list! It doesn't need to be extravagent, however, there are many times we all get caught up in our everyday lives and we can easily lose sight of things that are important to us. Jim, you make a good point about family and friends.

Having known you for over 30 years, I want to congratulate you for your success.

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you about how your Bucket List is changing to be more about things you want to accomplish.

Thanks for inspiring your readers to think about what they might like to accomplish in the time they have left on earth.

We all need a bucket list, perhaps now, in these challenging economic times, more than ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home