Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The World as 100 People

One of my friends, Stuart Crawford thought I should put in a plug for the upcoming SMB Nation conference.

I know I lead a fortunate (although busy) life. Actually, I prefer to think of it as a full life. I read the following in a newsletter recently. Thought it was interesting

The World As 100 People...

If we could shrink the earth’s population to a village of 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would like this…

60 Asians, 14 Africans, 12 Europeans, 7 Latin Americans, 5 from USA & Canada and 1 from South Pacific
49 would be female and 51 would be male
82 would be non-white, 18 white
67 would be non-Christian, 33 would be Christian
32% of the world’s wealth would be in the hands of only 5 people and all 5 would be US citizens
80 would live in substandard housing, 24 would not have electricity, 33 would not have access to safe water
67 would be unable to read, 50 would suffer from malnutrition
One would be near death, 2 would be near birth
Only one would have a college education but 7 would have internet access
When you consider our world from such a perspective, the need for both acceptance and understanding becomes glaringly apparent.

Now off to get caught up.

2 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Blogger Matthew Cornell said...

Excellent post, Jim. As a citizen of a "first world" country, I try to be aware of how fortunate I am, even though I know I'll never really *know* it unless I experience it first hand for a long time. I think the pace of change is accelerating given many factors, chief among them the oil peak and our impact on our environment. Sadly, I don't see a rational preparation among our leaders here in the US.

Any way, enjoying your blog. Thanks!

P.S. Found you via Tatsuya Nakagawa.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Ramon Ray said...

SMB Nation is definitely a good conference.....

Ramon Ray, Editor & Technology Evangelist, Smallbiztechnology.com

Also say you via Tatsuya...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home