Wednesday, September 06, 2006

On Focus

One basis of Time Management is prioritizing and focusing on what is important. What is frustrating me now is the 4 top priorities I have on cannot be moved forward. Everything is in the other parties court.

I usually have three or four large projects on the go that are my top priorities. I review what I am doing on those projects daily and I think about them almost all of the time. This allows me to move forward quickly on them usually.

In some sense it seems strange doing this because I need ignore some of my other busy work as far as other meetings, calls, etc., and this goes against my grain because I pride myself on being very fast, responsive, and available.

I have found that this focus is the way that I can add the most value to what I do.

3 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,

I guess, being an effective and focused (driven?) individual has its "disadvantages". Just because one strives on being "on the ball", unfortunately, it doesn't ensure that the others do the same. It may also be that the others, one is waiting on, have diferent goals or priorities than us. So don't get frustrated.
In the corporate world, regrettably, albeit for a reason, only the results that count. Yet, I would suggest, one should take pride and satisfaction from the honest EFFORT one makes.

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,

Possibly if there is something you can do to assist the other party move the ball a few inches forward, this could alleviate some frustration. Many times this involves more work, however, in the long run is much more productive than the busy work. Just a thought.

regards,

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A phrase I live by, "manage your time or your time will manage you". It is so important in today's multi-task oriented world that we constantly remember what's important. Top priorities/projects at work take precedence, but for those who lead people, inspiring, motivating and developing them to be the best they can is an ever changing and evolving top priority. Business begins with people, and not the roles they perform.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home