Thursday, September 21, 2006

Guilt

I am back from California. Took the red eye yesterday so was not as productive as I would have liked to have been ysterday.

I was out at a Blue Jays night last night courtesy of Microsoft. I might have preferred to sleep.

I am working on my systems when I travel so I am not so far behind when I get back. I increasingly find if I do not deal with something right away, I end up doing marathon sessions just to get to it. So I am trying to deal with everything at the time it arises. Put off nothing. I think thats a time tip.

The guilt theme seemed to ring a chord with a number of my readers. Now I feel guilty about feeling guilty. Something to work on.

Guilt is anger directed at ourselves......Peter McWilliams

Guilt: the gift that keeps on giving.....Erma Bombeck

5 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Guilt: punishing yourself before God doesn't."......Alan Cohen

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I increasingly find if I do not deal with something right away, I end up doing marathon sessions just to get to it. So I am trying to deal with everything at the time it arises. Put off nothing."

Amen to that!! Probably one of the most productive tips you can give people and yet probably one of the least used. :)

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger steven edward streight said...

Guilt can be an indication you have an intact conscience. The researchers say that serial killers are cold, callous, have neither fear nor regret.

You specialize in Time Management, as all CEOs must do. Improving employee time usage increases productivity. Everyone wastes time like it's going out of style and they have unlimited reserves of the stuff. We don't.

If we were more aware of impending death, we would be bolder, more assertive, and more fussy about how we spend our moments. We're all born with an expiration date stamped on us.

But, knowing how serious you are about Time Management, I spot where you may allow Time Management to manage you, and perhaps sour your enjoyment of aimless, non-productive, goal-free relaxation.

I'm similar. I absolutely hate to step away from the computer. I can't fully enjoy any family get togethers, shopping sprees, vacations (I loathe vacations), or sleep.

I keep thinking of business objectives, projects, mission statements, potential clients, current workloads, dreams, etc.

BTW, see This Week's Column by Harvey Mackay. It's all about Time Management.

;^]

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guilt is regret for what we’ve done. Regret is guilt for what we didn't do.

Sorry, I don't know who said it - but I like this quote. I'd rather be guilty.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger steven edward streight said...

Guilt alone is not good, however.

Guilt must lead to transformation, repentence, "a life changing" event of permanence, a new habit, a crushed tradition.

So the New and Better may appear.

Guilt gone mad is paranoia, melancholia, self-loathing sans self-improvement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home