Saturday, September 02, 2006

Guelph Lake Triathlon


I did a Sprint Triathlon today. 3/4 Kilometer swim, 19 K cycle and 5 K run.

The day was cold and rainy. Because I did not register in advance, I showed up early. Early enough to get rained on and stand in the wind for a while. I put on my wetsuit early but even so was cold.

I did the 3/4 K swim in 18:35. Not my best time but OK. Way too many people in the water. The water was fairly calm - not too choppy thankfully. The bouys had blown out of position so I suspect I actually swam quite a bit more. I was kicked several times. Thought I would have a black eye but seem Ok. It seems that half way through any of these swims I begin to think I should stop. No easy way out though. So I finished. Thanks to my 2 swimming lessons from Danielle who just competed in switzerland, I think it was easier on me.

19K cycle was interesting. The rain meant my brakes did not work. The photo (I am the front rider) is near the transition, trying to stop. I almost took my hybrid bike with larger, higher traction tires but did not. Still, respectable time at 44:55. No falls.

5 K run was fine. I like running in the rain. 23:49 which is OK for me. I passed a lot of people. Major blisters though since my shoes where wet. I chose to wear no socks to shorten the transitions and I figured in the rain, it made little difference.

My goal was to finish and I did. Total including transitions of 1:32:10. It is the sort of thing I am glad to have finished.

I use labout day weekend as a goal setting weekend. This will absorb much of the rest of my weekend.

7 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Stuart R. Crawford said...

Hi Jim, I am inspired by your comments on your blog. I am going to check the book you recommended a few postings ago.

I trust you are well, see you perhaps in Toronto when we are out for either the CDN Awards or Microsoft IMPACT awards.

Cheers

Stuart

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jim - Congrats on finishing the tri! I actually saw you running and couldn't figure out how I knew you. Then catching up on bloglines this morning I saw your entry and it hit me. I'm a fellow triathlete although yesterday I was just a spectator and cheering on my mom. It was a nasty day to race so nice job on sticking it out!
Kathryn

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Jim Estill said...

thanks

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jim,

I'm training for the London Marathon for April next year, got any good tips for me?

Amit

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Jim Estill said...

My marathon training tips would be to run long and slow once a week plus your normal daily runs. Take a rest day once or twice per week to allow yourself to heal. Try cross training sometimes so you get cardio without using your running muscles. Good book on running by Jack Daniels. I am not a running coach but he is.

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Jim at GLST2. Great weather you had on Saturday!
Sunday was ideal. See you next at an OT. I think you will enjoy it, however, no doubt I will see you before then. Cheers, Scott

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jim!

I believe we met at the "Don't Cry In Your Beer" event at the Accelerator Centre during Entrepreneur Week. I am a student in the MBET program at UW. I just came across your blog and was intereted to find that you are a triathlete as well! I did the Olympic distance race in Guelph on Labour Day weekend, I think we had better weather (the rain held off). The tri's are great fun and a good way to stay in shape!

Anyway, congrats on finishing, and maybe I'll see you at future races or other entreprership events.

Dan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home