Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Achieve more - work 75% of the time

Someone great once said:

"I can do my job in 75% of the time but I cannot do it in 100% of my time"

Thats the way I feel now. I am spending most of my time dealing with the urgent tasks I face. This is leaving me little time for the larger planning, visioning, contemplation and preparation I need to do. Because I am spending 100% of my time working, I cannot do my job well.

Of course my regular readers know this means I need to look at my systems. How can I better do what needs to be done and free up some time for the bigger picture. I always figure there is no point complaining, solve it.

And completely off topic:

I notice in reading Scientific American that the vapour left by jets is contributing to climate change. This comes from studying the few days after Sept 11th. Interesting. Perhaps better for my brothers Glen and Lyle to comment on (they both do alternative energy and conservation blogs)

4 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Blogger Jim Estill said...

Tough and very broad question. Set goals, prioritize and study time management. Email me and I will email you my eBook on Time Leadership.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Ed Kohler said...

What's the trick to building efficiencies into the 75%? Personally, I find focusing on one task at a time over multitasking a basic but not to be overlooked way of improving efficiency. It forces me to complete tasks rather than having a zillion things half done.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Jim Estill said...

There is no right answer to how to get more done during the 75%. Time management is mostly a lot of little things. I agree with focus. I also think working on the right thing. This speaks to goals. This is also partly why I call this blog Time Leadership. Leadership is about doing the right things (as opposed to management which is doing things right)

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger steven edward streight said...

Do the things that *must* be done, prior to doing things you enjoy.

But don't let top priorities fill all your time.

Allow yourself some fun time to relax, goof off, "waste time" just sitting in nature and contemplating, self-evaluation in solitude and silence, to recharge your batteries, so to speak.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home