Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Making an Impact - and travel habits

I am in the Tampa airport waiting for a flight. Will arrive home at midnight.

Although travel sounds glamourous, one hotel board room tends to be similar to any other. Even ecomonical travel is also expensive and in a low margin/low overhead business like SYNNEX, we always need to watch our costs. I also usually feel pulled to be where I am not. When I am in the office, I "should" be traveling and when I am traveling, I am needed in the office.

Of course, I am trying hard to get over the shoulds in my life.

One discipline I am working on is more success habits while traveling (or in short, being more productive). Because flights tend to be at odd times, it can cut in to workouts which I need to watch. Health and working out keep me crisp. I did manage a 5 mile run today. On a treadmill - it is way too hot here to run outside.

Sometimes I get notes or emails from people. I was really picked up by the following email from one of my ex-employees:

"Jim, it has been about 10 months since (I left) SYNNEX/EMJ.... I have been following your blog almost daily since the closure. I wanted to let you know that even though I am no longer with SYNNEX/EMJ that I still follow what is going on through many of the people that I gained the friendship of there.... You have remained an inspiration to me through your blog. I always have felt that you were very intelligent and had lots you could offer a person even those who do not work for you. By the sounds of it, things are still going strong for you with SYNNEX and that is great. Anyways, just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that you have made a huge impact on my life...."

Wow. I am humbled. It inspires me to try harder.

My first tip today is to start a flie of these and look at them if you ever feel down or need inspiration. I call my file "Good Feelings".

My second tip is to occassionally write these notes. They have an impact - especially since so few people take the time to write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home