Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Self development day

In Fremont now after an uneventful 5 hour (plus a short ½ hour) flight.

Yesterday was a self development day. Almost a holiday. I sat through the management training session that Larry and John did. Lots of talk about flexibility, adaptability, change, leadership etc. Inspiring. I then lead my Time Leadership course.

After a few quick meetings, I was flying. Read “Disney Wars” which is interesting, long, almost a business thriller. It tells of boardroom intrigue, company politics etc. Almost more of a novel. If you choose to read it, it will take a few hours.

I also read John Maxwell’s 17 indispensable laws of Teamwork. His books are always very quick to read. He uses a lot of sports team analogies. Makes many excellent points. Worth reading.

I also listened so some Zig Ziglar and Sun Tsu’s Art of War (which is a long one). It tells of high violence and very much a win lose approach. It also occurs to me that it is easy to lead through intimidation (mostly beheading) but truly great leaders lead through inspiration.

As I take in all this information, I realize that many of my thoughts are just synthesis of many other people’s thoughts. This can be one way I add value. I process high volumes of information. Much of the study that I do simply triggers other ideas. If I need an idea, I just read or listen to anything business related and often good ideas come to me.

3 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's great to know you and other people who think that reading is very important for personal growth and development.

Learn and grow!
tolovelearning.blogspot.com

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Ben Dash said...

It's a very rare person who can arrive at a worthwhile idea through thinking in a vacuum, in general it is better to accept the helping hand to stand upon the shoulders of giants that went before you.

 
At 3:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To know you and other who think that reading is very important for self development

 

Post a Comment

<< Home