Friday, June 17, 2005

Serendipity

It has been a long day of meetings. I learned a lot and took lots of notes so have lots of action I need to get to.

This morning I lifted weights with one of my mentors (yes I have many of them) – John Paget, COO for SYNNEX. He is my idol because even though I pride myself on being in shape, he lifts more and does more reps and he is about 8 years older than I am. What’s more, he works out at 5 every morning – a good inspiration. Apart from the weight lifting, John is one of the best communicators I know and has a natural mentor attitude. I bounce a lot of my ideas off of him to get his coaching.


On the flight down to Fremont I read a great book called Spiritual Serendipity by Richard Eyre. Ties in to time management in a big way. Serendipity is defined as the gift or faculty of finding something good while seeking something else. I often have this. It is part of my charmed life.

It contains the fable of Serendip (which is now called Sri Lanka and was formerly called Celon)

Interesting, the book is very big on setting goals. With goals, you will find the good you seek often without even looking for it. Sort of like planting the seed I spoke of in an earlier post.

Quotes from the book:

“Time is like the tides and currents – it needs to be harnessed not managed”

“While Serendipity is helped by goals and direction, it is hindered by the heavy, overstructured plans and highly detailed lists and schedules…sucking away from the opportunities and surprises of the present.”

Although I am passionate about time management or in my case, time leadership, I have often been asked “does it not detract from life?” etc. This is the answer. Have goals and plans but also allow time for serendipity.

The book is interesting and very thought provoking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home