Tuesday, June 14, 2005

E-Myth

I recently re-read E-Myth and E-Myth revisited by Michael Gerber (www.e-myth.com). His thesis is to work on the business, not in the business. He is a big believer of systematizing and documenting processes. Dumbing things down so anyone can do them.

Although the primary thrust of his books are targeted at small business (and since I started my business from 0, I am a bit of a small business person despite running the Billion dollar company), there are some gems for larger businesses as well.

It speaks to scalability. Creating a system that can grow and does not require any specific person in order to do this. Then polishing the system at every opportunity to make it better.

What I am finding in the current polishing is that the adaptability of the people is a key trait. People tend to be the barrier to new systems. The adaptable ones will thrive. Part of what I need to do is to also moderate some of the change in order not to break a good thing. Although we need to change – we also need stability. It is that balance that I seek.

I just got back the results of a whole company survey that we did. We have our work cut out for us. It is through these surveys that I see the need for greater stability. I also got some good ideas on how we can polish our systems.

2 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim I have to admit you are slowly turning me. You came into our world and many changes started to happen. Friends leaving, system issues, paycuts etc were all attributed to you, because you didn't have our trust. Many of us would lie down in front of a bus for Mitchell because we have been through the war with him, but you, were the unknown. I think that the last week has done much to change this image and I sincerily hope you continue to show us who you are and help us identify with the person you are. You talk of needing stability in our organization which I also believe to be the most important ingredient for the continued success of Synnex Canada. There are too many excellent people here to fathom losing them to the competition. Thanks for creating this Blog, please continue to add your thoughts so that we can all connect, as one Company and realize the synergies that are waiting to explode.

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree in principal on a few of the things mentioned. Stability is important, there is a feeling that this is a long time coming however. There is a lack of information flow and the impeding of this information causes instability.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home